Thursday, September 16, 2010

High West Distillery in Park City and my favorite whiskey drink

I finally did it. I played tourist yesterday and took the High West Distillery tour here in Park City. It was great! I am already a big fan of High West's Rendezvous Rye, but I took the opportunity to check out the other varieties.


Terry was our tour guide and he did a wonderful job of giving us the low down on how whiskey, rye and vodka are made.Very complicated process. They use local Utah ingredients - that's good. Terry took us through the process, but it is already gone from the brain. I guess the most important thing is it tastes great.
They make their spirits in small batches so every one will taste slightly different, unlike the big mass produced ones where they all taste the same.


I have already consumed several bottles of the Rendezvous Rye since it appeared on the scene in 2007, but I think I have found a new, more expensive love -  Rocky Mountain Rye 16 year old. Here is what they say about it: 
Because of its unusually high rye mashbill compared to other older rye whiskies, Rocky Mountain Rye 16 Year Old is the rye-est rye sipping whiskey you’ll ever taste. We’ve only got 173 barrels of it. So experience this very unusual rye whiskey now—before it’s all gone
I say it is pretty darn good.

Our tour concluded with viewing the rest of the Park City property which consists of the old Livery and Garage - my favorite side and the restaurant side where they only serve dinner in small intimate rooms. 

Next time in Park City, take the tour. After all, it is the only distillery you can ski-in and ski out of. 

My favorite High West drink: Lemonade, Rendezvous Rye with a bit of ginger. Excellent!


No comments: